November 25, 2007

Library of Congress vs. Dewey


Thanksgiving weekend was spent mostly unpacking. I spent approximately 8-10 hours a day cataloguing about 350 books. Yes, I know, I'm a freak.... I pretty much know what books I have, but decided to put call numbers on them when I realized Chaim and I would be combining all of our books together, to make it easier for us to find them. There are a lot of art and design books, so most of the shelves up to this point are filled with N books. I'm much more comfortable with the Library of Congress than the Dewey Decimal call number system of dividing up the books, but the ones that I didn't agree with, I put my own numbers and catalogued them to make sense of it.

I have a few oddball volumes; from Rob, from one of his trips home to Holland, an operetta by Robert Wilson in Dutch; and a found hardback architectural sketchbook with a forged inscription by an ex-boyfriend. These get catalogued in their own special places.

In the new glass fronted shelves that was given to us by Mordecai ben Chaim, we have started an autographed book section. My copy of The Corrections from Jonathan Franzen sits surrounded by Chaim's numerous books from famous authors and artists.
There are about 20 more boxes in the studio that will be unpacked soon, and we haven't even begun with the fiction. oy vay!

No comments: