July 21, 2007

Construction- Day 2

Another hot and sweaty day, especially since I donned on the demo-getup: my uncle Mitzi's car mechanic coveralls on top of another layer of clothing, with a mask and constantly fogging up goggles. But even with all these layers, somehow the particles of fiber-glass from the ceiling managed to get inside my clothes.
Chaim has been helping to take down the bags and bags of rubble and bundles of lathe, to store into our garage until we can figure out what we can do with it.



As I trudged on during the hot afternoon, I had flashbacks of the days back in the Midwest, when a bunch of us recently having graduated from the Kansas City Art Institute, spent a year trying to renovate a derelict warehouse. Back then, the grueling job was a team effort choreographed to a repetitive soundtrack of Guns and Roses, with a high learning curve and lots of breaks for beers and open fires for barbecues. Almost 15 years later, there is no soundtrack, I work in silence except for the hammering and my own breath (since I cut all power for fear of electrocution), my body is not used to the work, because I have not swung a hammer over my head for more than one or two poundings to get a nail into the wall to hang a picture.

We wake up very, very, very, very, very, very, extremely sore.

On the third day, we take a break and go to a barbecue pool party in New Jersey, where I proceed to float and wash away the last two days.

No comments: