July 22, 2008

Lamaze Class

Last Night Chaim and I attended the first of our five week Lamaze Class, which was really like a group couple's therapy session; about 15 or so couples sitting in an over chilled room discussing our fears and body parts. The instructor, who Chaim has already named "Nurse Ratchet", I thought was great. She really stressed that the coach does a lot of the work and that pain can be managed.

Three weeks ago, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, and since then, I've been measuring and weighing out every bit of food that goes into my mouth. I'm a walking science project. My blood sugar level is all over the place. It fluctuates over 20 points throughout the day. I prick my finger to get a blood sample four times a day, to get a reading and chart the course. Eating fatty ice cream at night sometimes helps the morning numbers but it's not consistent. We spent last weekend at Art Luekers on Shelter Island and chowed on a lot of sea food. Clams, steamers, lobster, which were all delicious, and according to the carb charts should not be so bad, but again the numbers were high. It looks like I'll be going on insulin soon.

No comments: